In almost every home in the greater Cincinnati area there are opportunities to save energy. Record low winter temperatures and hot humid summers combined with the increasing demand for energy from our computers, tablets, smart phones and entertainment media lead to higher energy bills.
Do you have these simple energy saving solutions throughout your home?
- Ceiling fans – reduce energy costs by circulating the air more effectively than your HVAC system. In winter, they push warm air down to help heat the room evenly and reduce cold spots. In the summer, they lift the hot air and circulate cool air evenly throughout the living space.
- LED replacement bulbs – reduce energy costs by replacing existing incandescent and CFL (compact fluorescent lamps) with LED lamps. The payback on LED is generally a 15-18 month period. This means you’ll save enough electricity within 18 months to pay for the lamps.
- Greater efficiency – LED lamps give you more light (lumen) for less watts – at least 75% more
- Longer lasting – Most LED lamps are guaranteed to work for 3 years under average usage
Tips and Recommendations
Ceiling Fan Installation and Usage Tips
Proper sizing and installation as well as use of a ceiling fan really matter when it comes to performance and energy savings. Here are a few tips to ensure quality installation and product performance.
- Choose the correct size fan for the room. Follow these guidelines when determining what size fan you need.
- Measure the room – Measure the width and length of the room. Multiple the length by the width to determine the total square footage. (e.g., 12 ft. X 10 ft. = 120 sq. ft.) Keep these measurements with you when shopping for your fan.
- Consider the ceiling height – If your ceiling is less than 8 feet high, you should purchase a low profile fan. For ceilings higher than 10 feet, purchase a downrod that will position your fan blades at least 9 feet above the floor.
- Measure the fan’s blade span – This is often reported in the manufacturer’s specifications OR you can calculate it yourself by measuring the distance between the blade tip (far end) of a single blade and the center of the fixture. Multiple this distance by 2 to determine the blade span.
- The key to proper air movement is blade pitch – The greater the pitch-the angle of the blade-the greater the air movement. The optimal pitch for a ceiling fan is between 12-15 degrees. The proper degree of blade pitch will allow your ceiling fan to move just the right amount of air so that you feel a nice gentle breeze.
- Recommended size by room size – Here are some general size recommendations.
|Room Size (Sq. Ft.)||Blade Span (Inches)|
|80 or less||24 to 42|
|100 to 150||44 to 50|
|150 to 300||52 to 60|
|300 or larger||62 or larger|
- Read and understand the manufacturer’s instructions before attempting to install a ceiling fan or call a Licensed Electrician to install it.
- Choose the correct UL-rated electrical box. Make sure that you use the appropriate UL-listed metal outlet box, one marked “For Use with Ceiling Fans.” Do not attempt to install a ceiling fan on a plastic light fixture outlet box!
- The outlet box is mounted above the ceiling and also is the point where the fan is attached.
- This box has a larger capacity screw mounting support generally 10-32 threaded screws that connect the ceiling fan bracket to the box.
- If possible, the ceiling fan outlet box should be anchored to a wood ceiling joist or truss.
- If there is no ceiling joist or truss present in the center of the room, then you will need to purchase a special ceiling fan mounting bracket with spiked ends that bite into the joists. This outlet box can be placed anywhere along the adjustable bar to assure that the fan will be centered in the room for performance optimization. These types of adjustable bar outlet boxes have a capacity of up to 70 lbs.
- Turn off the fan when you leave the room. When you leave the room, turn off the ceiling fan to save energy.
- Use the ceiling fan year round. It is important to know which direction the blades are rotating.
- In the summer, use the ceiling fan in the counterclockwise rotation. While standing directly under the ceiling fan, you should feel a cool breeze. The airflow produced creates a wind-chill effect, making you feel cooler.
- In the winter, reverse the motor and operate the ceiling fan at low speed in the clockwise rotation. This produces a gentle updraft, which forces warm air near the ceiling down into the occupied space. The reversing switch is generally located on top of the motor and blade housing. For additional savings, remember to adjust your thermostat accordingly when using your ceiling fan!
LED Replacement Lamps
- Holzmacher Electric’s choice – LED lamps are Holzmacher Electric’s choice over the current incandescent and fluorescent lamps that you may be currently using. LED are simply the best energy efficient lamps on the market.
- More light and less heat – Consumers are all used to Thomas Edison’s soft frosted lamps which give off 85% heat and only 15% light.
- Many choices of color – LED lamps come in an array of colors that are measured in Kelvin (K).
- Soft warm light – If you want to maintain a soft warm look similar to incandescent light, select LED lamps that are 2700K.
- Bright daylight color – If you desire more of a bright light, consider LED lamps that are 6500K
- Something in between – For light intensity between soft warm and daylight, consider 3000K, 4100K or 5000K lamps.
- Great choice for outdoor lighting – LED lamps are a great choice for exterior lighting for two reasons:
- They attract fewer insects
- Because they last longer than CFLs and incandescent bulbs, they require changing much less often.
Occupancy Sensors, Electronic/Mechanical Timers and Motion Detector Devices
- Lights turn off when you leave the room. These types of devices automatically turn off the lights when you leave the room saving energy.
- Suggested Locations
- Occupancy Sensors - Kid’s bedrooms and closets, walk-in closets, hallways, kitchen pantry.
- Electronic/Mechanical Timers – Exterior lighting, bathroom exhaust fans
- Motion Detectors – Exterior Lighting, Security lighting, Landscape lighting.
Holzmacher Electric’s Unsurpassed Service
Holzmacher Electric has the expertise to help you with your energy saving solutions.
- Ceiling Fan Selection and Installation: We’ve installed 1000’s of ceiling fans in the greater Cincinnati area. We’ll happily make recommendations regarding the best type and size of fan for your space AND we’ll expertly install your fan.
- LED Lighting: We will take an inventory of your home’s lamps and provide an LED equivalent lamp cost solution.
- Occupancy Sensors, Electronic/Mechanical Timers and Motion Detectors: We will access your home’s electrical system and recommend placement of these devices where it will be most beneficial to your lifestyle.